Friday, May 05, 2006

Luton Airport - UK

Yes, back to back trips, up early and home late! So home late from Slovakia and a quick turn around and back on a plane to Luton airport, North London. This time I was traveling from Basel airport so a quick train timetable check and I was up early and off again. I was flying easyJet this time as it was cheap, not necessarily convenient but for a last minute trip. The only problem is to ensure you get the front seats, which I always aim for, cos it’s sort of like traveling business class without the frills as you get extra leg room and can be first off the plane if you are in a hurry. The only downside is the plane boarding sequence is done in block orders, so if you are early at the airport (like 2 hours early) you can get and A on your boarding card, then B, C and if you are like me there 1 hour beforehand you get a D, which of course means you are last to board, so the odds of getting the front seat are kind of impossible. So without the plane even anywhere in sight we were rounded up like cattle to wait in our boarding group order. So all the A's went first then B's and so on, until everyone was in a tight confined waiting area. Still no sign of the plane so as I was in D we waited 20 minutes before we were rounded up, but I feel sorry for the others as they must have been standing 40 minutes before the plane actually arrived and they could start boarding. I asked the obvious question ‘Why do we have to get into group allocations so early?’ Well not such a silly question because we still had 4 people that were so busy concentrating on shopping, drinking and everything but boarding we still had a delay because on them, so I can understand why they like us to get rounded up early. Apparently easyJet have a quick turn around so can not afford the delay at the airport, as any time on the ground for the plane is time wasted and extra airport tax. Well you wont believe it, I was one of the very last people to get on the plane and I managed to get a front seat, wonderful! So we had our easy queuing, easy seating, easy flight, easy kiosk, but no easy girls! My trip to the UK was a brief in and out, so I was back home very late. Actually on the return the easyjet flight was delayed by the French air traffic control yet again, so I missed the 23:04 train from Basel to Bern so had to hang around in Basel, tired and eager to get to bed for another hour. Well I noticed that the youth in Basel are the same in Zurich and Bern, they like to buy their 6 pack of beer, as it’s cheaper that the bar, and drink in the street. So the train stations in the cities are not a desirable place to be at night, unless you are 18, like smoking, drinking and dropping rubbish everywhere but the bin. Maybe I’m getting old cos I probably did the same at that age… Hey, do you remember the song 'Luton Airport' or something like that, well I found myself singing this but I can not remember who sings it! Anyway some more trivia, did you know that the Beatles song 'All you need is Love' was unveiled at Luton airport in 1960. Oh yeah, I finally got home 00:45, so was knackered and all I needed was some love!

No comments: