Sunday, May 07, 2006

Football Agian!

More VIP tickets to see the YB's in action as the football league is drawing to a close and in England Newcastle are playing against Chealse in their last game of the season so need to beat them to retain the 7th position in the Premiership, so lets see if I get the double, YB's and Newcastle winning! Well a good result all round, Newcastle beat Chelsea 1-0 and YB beat Thun 2-1. Newcastle have now qualified for the Intertoto Cup and will have caretaker boss Glenn Roeder as their new permanent manager (coach) on Monday 15th May. I was disappointed watching the YB’s, although as a VIP again this did not distract me from commenting on how bad they are. I managed to meet Marc (my Deutsch teacher) at the game and we watched a terrible first half, it was so bad it was laughable. Around 44 minutes into the first half the YB’s goalkeeper made a big, big blunder. He must have been asleep as a pretty soft sidekick of the ball from about 30 meters out and the ball (in slow motion) crept into the side of the goal. Everyone was amazed, the players, the supporters on both sides and I nearly feel of my seat in disgust. YB’s never looked able throughout the first half, although they had a lot of position they could not shoot at the target. Shots flying everywhere but the right place, so the whistle went and we all went inside for more food and drinks. When the second half started it was pretty much the same as the first. YB’s never really got going until the last 10 minutes, and then by surprise they scored. A nice goal which kick-started them into a different gear. Although some more ‘head in hands’ blunders by YB’s as they missed 2 easy shots earlier on. Well with around 8 minutes to play YB’s went crazy, running around like headless chickens, but they scored again, a nice header sealed the victory, but was nearly all to quick to late as they did not slow the pace down and take control. Instead they started to make mistakes and Thun where right back at them, but as the time ran out YB’s can claim the victory. It’s a great pity that YB’s don’t have more composure and a better coach, as they have a lot of potential and could easily be the best team in the league if the coach managed the players better! I just remember the game against Zurich and Basel, where YB’s dominated the play, but could not finish and lost both games. But at the end of the day it’s the team that wins that counts and today it was YB’s so we had something to celebrate and more drinks. So you can imagine my frustration watching them, which multiplied as Jun Shi did not play at all and again I did not see my buddy on the pitch. I then went back in to the VIP area, sat with the player’s wives and families and had a few more drinks. Whilst in there I was speaking with Everson the Brazilian midfielder who is out with a broken leg, about why Jun Shi does not play. Basically he said that during training they could all see he has a lot of potential but with the lack of speaking Deutsch or English he has great trouble communicating. I thought this is strange as in English football all you hear is grunts, but lets not go there. As he never seems to play more than 10 minutes I’m not surprised he is not so confident as the coach never plays him. BTW the coach IMHO is f***king useless, he stands on the sideline, expressionless and does not control the game. No one seems to take notice of him, he has no sidekick like in English football to consult and does not rant and rave at the players, so they do their own thing. Remember what I said earlier, this team has a lot of potential if managed correctly, so I rest my case! The Chinese international team is coming to Switzerland to play a friendly game with the Swiss team as a warm up for the Swiss going into the world cup, so I hope Jun Shi will play and score against the Swiss, just to prove he is a good player. Anyway ‘enough already’ as my sister would say and lets move on to something less boring…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey James, always reading you get tons of VIP tickets - that's a dangerous thing: Remember, many longtime YB supporters are checking out your blog without having the chance once in the lifetime having any VIP ticket ;-)

James said...

Hi Markus, as I only have 1 ticket and Jun Shi is coming up after the game to meet me with the other players, and Marc my Deutsch teachers is going (he managed to get his own ticket!), then I can not let down Jun Shi, as I am his no. 2 fan (after Marissa). I will remember you for future games, but I assume you would need 2 VIP tickets??? :-)