Friday, September 08, 2006

I feel a little Horse today!

Well actually it was a big bloody horse and I thought it was about time I rekindle my quest for horse riding as its been 8 years since I last rode. Although I like a good ride, I have not been on a horse for too long and I felt that! So I thought I would book myself a refresher lesson down at the local equestrian centre in Bern. So arriving at 'Eldorado' in Koniz I prepared for my 30 minutes lesson. Basically I had fogotten everything, and they say it's like riding a bike, well I don't think so! So out with the horse, a big mare called Corie (I think) and up I got. I had forgotten how to put the sadle on, adjust the stirrups, the bridle, the lot. So I was not much help. Anyway I managed to get on, yes without any help, and feel this big beast under me. So with some easy instructions I was able to make some circles, canter, gallop and even go around with no hands and with my eyes closed, wow you may say, well it was hard, but it all came back, but not after being told. So besides not knowing the front of the horse from the back, how to put the sadle on, adjust the stirrups get on an off the bloody thing, not having my feet in the proper position, not keeping my heels down, looking at the horses ears than straight in front of me, I think I did pretty well, AND I did not fall off! So sweating more than the horse I was able to put her away and feed her an apple. Now I shall have some more lessons, as I have a holiday booked in November to go to Spain horse riding for 3-5 hours every day for a week. I'm writing this blog entry 3 days later (actually on Monday) and I'm still walking like John Wayne and my insides of my legs are still aching, how will I manage for a week???

No comments: