Thursday, September 28, 2006

Do you have a good heart?

Well today was the test, do I or don't I, that is the question? This is all part of my living in Switzerland, as the pension policy (which has a life insurance section) requires that before they take on any responsibility they want to make sure I'm not going to drop dead. So the first part was last week and I had a full medical, yes the usual stuff; a urine sample (for protein content), blood pressure (so I don't faint when I see a naked girl), blood test (to make sure that after all these years I have not caught anything bad), weight, height, body mass index (to make sure I'm the right proportions), etc. As my Doctor did not have a heart monitor and cardio machine, then I had to go to the local cardio hospital (Salem Spital, round the corner, actually 2 mins walk away) for an 8am early morning heart test. So after a late night and not feeling 100% fit I jumped in the shower, so as not to smell of the night before, and was nice and fresh to do some cycling. Dressed in my shorts and running shoes I sat on the bike with about 10 electrodes sucked to my skin, just like the type you may have seen in the movie the “Matrix.” The test took around 30 minutes, cycling at a constant speed, whilst the tension on the wheel was increased and my heart monitored through the different ranges. All in all I passed with no problems, actually a lot better than the test pass rate, so those enduring cycles up the “Gurten” have really paid off. This was followed by a shower (yes in the hospital), towel dried by 3 lovely student nurses then sent off on my way home. The hospital has a fantastic view, perched up on the hill on the other side of the Aare, the view of the old town is great. Well the shower and the girls raised my heart rate more than the bike but I passed that test also, so no more checks for another 5 years..Pity!

No comments: