Sunday, August 19, 2007

What a Day!

Yes what a day! Well it all started off pretty good, the weather forecast was sun, sun and more sun with a few clouds and would be 27'. Well that is what I thought, actually in Bern it was like this all day and you could do a spot of sunbathing, but for me out on a bike up in the mountains it was not quite how I imagined and was little prepared for what was to come. So getting up relatively early for a Sunday at around 07:00, too early for me, but I was very eager to get out on the bike and test the little Monster. Maybe not so little as it is a 1000cc with a wonderful roar and an engine that give you a thrill puring away between your legs. Now, now, keep it clean! So off I set for the 3 passes, not sure if I would do all 3 but for sure I was going to get to the Grimselpass come what may. Actually I nearly had to eat my words as I very nearly turned around and gave up, but hang on I will get to that in a minute. My route took me from Bern on the smaller, more scenic roads and off the main highway, so a far better way to see the countryside and try out the nice windy roads. I followed the route to Thun, Spiez, then on to Interlaken, up to Brienz, alone the lake and heading towards Meiringen. Once there I filled up with fuel as I did not want to run out of fuel half way up or down a mountain. Only 13 Francs and the tank was full and enough petrol to get me there and maybe even back to Bern, so not so bad. Stopping to fill up I also spoke to a fellow biker Thomas on his way up to the 3 passes, a common thing on a weekend. Thomas was over for Stuttgart (Germany) for a weeks holiday and watching his brother compete in one of these crazy triathlons, swimming 3km across Thunersee, cycling 120km and then a run up to the top of the Schilthorn (2970m high). Mad, mad people! Anyway back to my trip, so as this guy had done the trip before he said I could follow him to the Grimselpass and depending on the ride I could carry on to the other passes or return. Up until now the weather was perfect, warm and sunny, but as we set off, I said to Thomas if I hold you up I will see you at the top. For the first 30 minutes it was fine, I was close behind him, although he did have a sports bike and head down overtaken everything in his path. I thought this was not my idea of riding so I took my time, enjoying the scenery and wanted to get there in one piece, especially as it was a hired bike, my first time up a Swiss mountain and the longest time I had been on the Ducati. So with this in mind I plodded along up the very step and windy mountain roads. Then as I was about half way up my assent, the weather changed, the clouds came over and the skies closed in around me and it literally 'pissed down with rain', so much so I was soaked, it went right through everything, so I was like a drown rat on a bike. Then to add more discomfort then came the mist, so much that you could not see a hand in front of you and with the tight windy road it was pretty dangerous. But I felt that only 13km to the summit I was going to carry on as I was already wet through and there was no shelter until I could get to the restaurant at the top. Riding with a lot of care and attention I was slowly getting closer and closer, when the thunder and lightening came, followed by large hailstones, which bloody hurt pelting off your body. Eventually I made it, got to the top, parked up and walked through into the warmth of the restaurant to join the other sodden bikers. My German buddy Thomas said he missed all the bad weather and arrived just as it started. Lucky bastard I thought, but then he had 2 other passes to get to before he would return, so I was sure it would catch him at some point. Once in the restaurant I had a hearty meal and some warm drinks, thawed out and managed to dry my clothes. After an hour the weather turned and the sun came out, so we decided to go our own way and part company, I was returning back down the mountain the way I had came and looked forward to get back to Interlaken, this being my focus at that point. Well halfway back down the mountain and after a few stops for pictures the rain came again and it was a mad dash to stay ahead of it, but not my luck as it followed me all the way to Interlaken before it subsided. From Interlaken to Thun it was not so bad, although raining it was not bad and yes I was soaked again. To save time at this point I thought F**k it and I'll take the fast way home from Interlaken to Bern on the highway, which saved a lot of time and I could see the sun was in the distance. Arriving back in Bern it was a beautiful sunny day with a few clouds. I was blown dry on the bike and was damp by the time I got home, cold and was in desperate need of a hot bath to warm up. I was a little annoyed seeing people out without shirts on (the men not women) and shorts, meanwhile I was wet and cold. So I parked up the bike at home, got inside and ran a warm bath to thaw out and warm up.. All in all I have had the most intensive and invigorating bike tour ever and although at times I was cold and miserable it was the most exhilarating and breathtaking experience I have had in a long time and I look forward to the next. Oh.. and by the way the bike was fantastic, so it passed the test for me!

No comments: