Thursday, March 16, 2006

Budapest - Hungary

This is Joe my hungarian friend standing beside his new car. As life is hard in Hungary he was extremely happy when he was able to buy his first car, an East German (state of the art) Pimped Trabant! I'm only joking, of course this is not Joe's car he has something far better, but it is not uncommon to see a lot of these cars here. There are several train stations in Budapest, although this one is situated in the city 'Pest' whilst over the River Danube you will find yourself in city Buda. When the 2 cities merged they formed what is known as Budapest. To learn more about the history of these 2 beautiful cities click on the link in the title. I was fascinated by this train, because if you look carefully you will notice the offical train markings (the number of the carriage) seem to be over the top of the graffiti, which is a little odd, rather than remove the graffiti they just remark the carriage over the top!

As Joe's girlfiend was working, yes on a Sunday (they have some great shops, just like being back in the UK as you will find; Tesco, M&S, C&A, Miss Sixty, Morgan, etc), we went off to do some sightseeing and he became my personal tour guide. These are some of the great shots I managed to take, although it was freezing cold and windy I nearly gave up. As you see Joe was wearing his ski jacket and felt hot, me on the otherhand nearly froze to death, so I blame my cold on this. Joe was looking forward to his holiday as he was taken his girlfriend that very afternoon to a Wellness resort where you enjoy steam baths, saunas, bubble baths, massages, wellness food and you can go out horse riding, playing golf or walking in the forest, etc etc. The place is Bükfürdő, a little village 240km west of Budapest, very close to the Austrian state border. Hungary is rich in thermal water and many people come from all over the world to bath in these and have a nice relaxing wellness holiday. 'I want one!' The link I have shown is Wellness in Budapest.

As I have just returned from 3 days in Budapest, yes this was a business trip but I still had time to do some sightseeing and have some fun. I will fill in the details and add some pictures soon as I'm too tired tonight. Gute Nacht

No comments: