Sunday, July 20, 2008

Gurnigel

Gurnigel! What am I talking about, you may ask? Not an easy place to find, but like a lot of hidden places in Switzerland you normally have to be recommended by a Swiss person or someone that has been there. Well today the weather looked ok, some clouds and a forecast of rain, but around 10:00 this morning it looked fine, so I thought I would take advantage of this and get out on my bike, yes my motorbike. Not really sure on where to go, but somewhere not too far in case the rain did come, so I thought Gurnigel. I could barely remember how to get there as it has been nearly a year since I was last there. Although I have GPS on my bike, it only helps if you know the name of the destination and I could not remember, but a had a pretty good idea where it was, and I knew once I got there I could save the coordinates and then I would have this listed in my favorites so as not to forget for next time. The ride out was beautiful, as there was hardly any traffic on the road towards Belp, before I turn right and head off up the hills for Riggisberg. I cannot describe how perfect the scenery is as you climb higher and higher, with the mountains off in the distance and the low lands of Belp airport (Bern airport), disappearing as I wind my way through the smaller country roads. The temperature was perfect, around 24' with a slight breeze and lots of sunny spells with a few clouds dotted around the skyline as I motored along in perfect harmony with my Triumph, which was making easy work of the hills as I passed all the cyclists destine for the summit. Having passed Riggisberg I carried on until I found Gurnigel where I stopped for a comfort break, some lunch and to take in the fanatic view of the mountains and lake Thun in the distance. Once refreshed it was time to complete the circuit and return home, just as the rain started although not too heavy, so I made it home just as the heaven opened up and it poured down, but luckily for me I was home dry! One thing I did notice was a Western style ranch, which looked great fun, so I checked it out on the internet and fancy myself as 'John Wayne' so will inquire about a day’s western style horse riding. Looks fun!

No comments: